By Toby Segaran, Jeff Hammerbacher
During this insightful publication, you'll research from the easiest info practitioners within the box simply how wide-ranging -- and gorgeous -- operating with info may be. sign up for 39 members as they clarify how they built basic and chic strategies on initiatives starting from the Mars lander to a Radiohead video.
With Beautiful Data, you will:
* discover the possibilities and demanding situations occupied with operating with the tremendous variety of datasets made on hand by way of the Web
* methods to visualize tendencies in city crime, utilizing maps and information mashups
* become aware of the demanding situations of designing a knowledge processing process that works in the constraints of house travel
* learn the way crowdsourcing and transparency have mixed to improve the country of drug research
* know how new info can instantly set off indicators whilst it fits or overlaps pre-existing data
* find out about the large infrastructure required to create, seize, and approach DNA data
That's purely small pattern of what you'll locate in Beautiful Data. For a person who handles facts, this can be a really interesting publication. members include:
Nathan Yau Jonathan Follett and Matt Holm J.M. Hughes Raghu Ramakrishnan, Brian Cooper, and Utkarsh Srivastava Jeff Hammerbacher Jason Dykes and Jo wooden Jeff Jonas and Lisa Sokol Jud Valeski Alon Halevy and Jayant Madhavan Aaron Koblin with Valdean Klump Michal Migurski Jeff Heer Coco Krumme Peter Norvig Matt wooden and Ben Blackburne Jean-Claude Bradley, Rajarshi Guha, Andrew Lang, Pierre Lindenbaum, Cameron Neylon, Antony Williams, and Egon Willighagen Lukas Biewald and Brendan O'Connor Hadley Wickham, Deborah Swayne, and David Poole Andrew Gelman, Jonathan P. Kastellec, and Yair Ghitza Toby Segaran
Read Online or Download Beautiful Data: The Stories Behind Elegant Data Solutions PDF
Similar programming books
As programmers, we’ve all noticeable resource code that’s so gruesome and buggy it makes our mind discomfort. during the last 5 years, authors Dustin Boswell and Trevor Foucher have analyzed hundreds and hundreds of examples of "bad code" (much of it their very own) to figure out why they’re undesirable and the way they can be more suitable.
Considering the fact that its first quantity in 1960, Advances in desktops has offered certain insurance of techniques in and software program and in computing device thought, layout, and purposes. It has additionally supplied contributorswith a medium within which they could learn their matters in larger intensity and breadth than that allowed by way of common magazine articles.
This 3rd variation introduces the most recent conception and purposes in optimization. It emphasizes restricted optimization, starting with linear programming after which continuing to convex research, community flows, integer programming, quadratic programming, and convex optimization. You’ll find a host of sensible enterprise purposes in addition to non-business purposes.
- Patterns for Parallel Programming
- Higher-Order Perl: Transforming Programs with Programs
- TAPSOFT '97: Theory and Practice of Software Development: 7th International Joint Conference CAAP/FASE Lille, France, April 14–18, 1997 Proceedings
- Programming Windows 5th Edition The definitive guide to the Win32 API
- How to Land a Top-Paying Computer Programmer Job: Your Complete Guide to Opportunities, Resumes and Cover Letters, Interviews, Salaries, Promotions, What to Expect From Recruiters and More!
Additional resources for Beautiful Data: The Stories Behind Elegant Data Solutions
So, what is it that drives people to fill in forms and create the data we need? And how can we, as designers and developers, encourage them to do it more efficiently, effectively, and accurately? Com We’ll take a look at a case study here, showing an example of simple form design using UX best practices and principles to increase the completion rate of unsolicited questionnaires. The Project: Surveying Customers About a New Luxury Product Our project was an online survey for a marketing consulting firm, Urban Wallace Associates, that was trying to gauge consumer interest in a new luxury product.
Of course, imagining these people using our digital product is only a first step. Since we knew them well, we were also able to enlist some of them to help in preliminary testing of our design. In the end, people will adapt their own behavior to work with just about any design, if they have to. The purpose of UX is to optimize those designs so people will want to use a product or service, and can use it more readily and easily, without having to adapt their behavior. Designing the Form Layout Generally, no matter how beautiful our form design, it’s unlikely that it will ever rise to the level of delighting users.
Accurate characterization is what allows a researcher to have a high level of confidence that the image data accurately represents the scene that the camera captured. It is also a major contributor to the cost. To Pack or Not to Pack As with any highly constrained embedded system, the software needed to meet both its operational requirements and the constraints of its execution environment. As one might expect, these were not always complementary conditions, so trade-off decisions had to be made along the way.
Beautiful Data: The Stories Behind Elegant Data Solutions by Toby Segaran, Jeff Hammerbacher